Criteria for Review of Variance Requests
Each of these criteria must be answered affirmatively in order for the Board of Zoning Appeals to grant a variance. The request must demonstrate that:
- There are extraordinary and exceptional conditions pertaining to the particular property in question because of its size, shape, or topography;
- The application of the ordinance or resolution of this particular piece of property would create an unnecessary hardship;
- Such conditions are peculiar to the piece of property involved;
- Relief, if granted, would not cause substantial detriment to the public good or impair the purposes and intent of the ordinance or resolution of the comprehensive plan;
- The special conditions and circumstances do not result from the actions of the applicant.
For additional information, contact Zoning Division, (803) 545-3333.