Since 1956, May has been recognized as National Bike Month. National Bike Month has been acknowledged through Mayoral Proclamations in Columbia within recent years.
There are many reasons to ride a bike - whether it is for work, school, to save money or time, to preserve your health or the environment, or to explore your community, there are many ways to participate in Bike Month in Columbia.
We encourage you to view our 2017 Bike Month Calendar for a list of events! Event details will be available on the BPAC facebook page, and are also listed below.
- May 4-5, SC Mayor's Bike & Walk Summit
- May 5, Tour de Taco, start at Cycle Center, 1001 Harden Street, at 6:30 pm
- May 6, Bike Boulevard Historic Bike Tour, 9:00 am - 11:00 am, meet at W.A. Perry Middle School
- May 10, Bike to School Day, visit www.walkbikeschool.org to identify participating schools; individuals can join an existing group
- May 10, Handlebar Happy Hour, Publick House, 2307 Devine Street, 6pm
- May 13, Life is a Cycle Ride (all levels), 9:30 am - 12:00 pm, meet at Finlay Park, register online or day of.
- May 14, Cycle Femme Ride, 3:00 pm, start at Outspokin' Bicycles, Irmo Store, 7601 St. Andrews Road
- May 15-19, Bike to Work Week
- May 19, Columbia Bike to Work Day, ride to the State House on the Gervais Street side (arrive at 8:15 am) to ride down Main Street to the Bank of America Building for a gathering and refreshments
- May 20, Tour de Cure & Mayor's Bike/Walk Rodeo, register online, check in/start times vary based on distance/event chosen
- May 31, Bike Movie Night, 6 pm, 701 Whaley
Handlebar Happy Hour
Handlebar Happy Hour is an opportunity for people interested in Bike and Pedestrian issues in the city of Columbia. The event features speakers as well as a bike valet for your convenience. We meet at the Publick House, 2307 Devine Street, from 6pm - 8pm on the second Wednesday of each month.