A section of the larger Arsenal Hill neighborhood, the Governor's Mansion area was established as a local historic district surrounding the Governor's Mansion and grounds. Along the streets surrounding the Governor's complex is a mix of commercial buildings and houses that serve as offices. The 30-block Arsenal Hill area was named for the military academy that was established there in 1842, and the area later became a desirable place to live. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1971, and the Governor's Mansion area was designated a local Protection Area in 1964. The historic structures in the district date from approximately circa 1830-1920.