Effective September 16, 2016, the City of Columbia will be changing credit card processors. Credit card transactions processed through this portal will incur additional costs collected by this processor for delivering this service. For More Information
A valid street address is required to apply for a building or zoning permit. If your project does not yet have an address, application can be made through Planning and Development Services or by calling (803)545-3400. Addresses within City limits are assigned by the Utilities & Engineering Department in consultation with 911 services.
If your property lies outside City limits, contact the appropriate County (Lexington County or Richland County) for their addressing procedure.
How to Apply
Provide the following information:
- Complete Address Request Application .
- For Existing lots: Copy of recorded plat (can be obtained from Richland County Register of Deeds)
Richland County Register of Deeds
Richland County Judicial Center
1701 Main Street
Columbia, SC 29201
Phone: (803)576-1910 or (803)576-1913
- For Subdivisions: Copy of recorded overall subdivision lot and street site plan and street name approval letter from Richland County 911. The Planning Commission assigns new street names for new subdivisions during the site plan review process. For street name assignments or changes, contact the Zoning Division of the Development Services Department at (803)545-3333.
- For Subdivided Lots: Copy of City approved and stamped plat.
- For Apartments/Malls: Floor plan/store layout.
- For new tenant space within an existing building: Building floor plan with existing addresses
- Submit address request form and supporting information to the Development Center
- Owner will be notified of address assignment by letter
3-5 Days. Longer for new subdivisions and apartments.
1136 Washington St.
Columbia, SC 29201
Get Adobe Reader