To find out about the latest engineering, construction or design opportunities, visit:
For more information about the Bid Process, see below.
1136 Washington St.
Columbia, SC 29201
- Check the Bids page for open requests*. The City of Columbia also advertises open bid requests in The State, The Star Reporter and the Black News Media.
- Attend a pre-bid conference. Attendance may be mandatory for some projects. Be sure to check the specific project bid page for details.
- Check for Mentor-Protégé, Subcontractor Outreach, Local Business Enterprise or other special requirements. These will be listed on the specific project bid page and announced at the pre-bid conference.
- Submit a sealed bid following the instructions for that project by the posted deadline. The City will open and review all bids starting at the time announced on the specific project bid page.
- The winning bidder will be notified, and the project will be sent to Council for approval. Winning the bid does not guarantee that the project will be approved.
- If the project is approved, a contract will be drafted and a Letter of Award issued to the winner.
- The winning bidder will attend a pre-construction meeting to review project requirements.
- The Construction Administrator for the project will review the project for compliance with specifications and handle pay requests.
- Upon project completion and prior to final pay-out:
- Utility inspectors will inspect water, sewer, stormdrain and roadway installation.
- Certificate of occupancy must be issued (where relevant).
- The contractor will supply the final as-built Record Drawings.
- The contractor will submit all lien waivers.
- The contractor will submit all required Department of Utilities & Engineering Compliance Division forms.
* The Department may issue bid requests by invitation when the project is of a time-sensitive nature, such as in an emergency. Bids by invitation will not be announced on these pages.
Get Adobe Reader