Have a voice.
The City of Columbia has a number of Boards and Commissions with which citizen participation is vital.
Joining one is one way citizens can volunteer and get involved with their city government. The boards and commissions serve mostly in an advisory capacity to various city departments. But some also hear appeals, provide expertise, advocate, and advise City Council. The Mayor and City Council seek diversity and balance in making appointment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, or disability.
Current Openings: Application
- Board of Zoning Appeals (BOZA) - One (1) vacancy
- Citizens Advisory Committee for Community Development - Three (3) vacancies
- Citizens Advisory Committee for Columbia Police Department- Ten (10 Vacancies)
- Climate Protection Action Committee (CPAC)- Six (6) vacancies (non-voting); One (1) vacancy (voting)
- Columbia Prepares Advisory Committee- Seven (7) vacancies
- Columbia Tree and Appearance Commission (CTAC) - Three (3) current vacancies; Two (2) vacancies upcoming in July 2021
- Election Commission- One (1) vacancy
- Design Development Review Commission (DDRC)- One Vacancy (1) for an Architectural Historian
- Food Policy Committee - Eleven (11) vacancies
- Housing Authority of the City of Columbia- One (1) vacancy for a Resident Commissioner
- Housing Authority of the City of Columbia- One (1) vacancy for a Commissioner
- Midlands Authority for Conventions, Sports, and Tourism (MACST) - One (1) vacancy
- Transportation Penny Oversight Committee- Two (2) Vacancies
All Applicants must reside within the city limits.
Please see the above links for more information on each board/committee/commission.