The City of Columbia City Council met for a Public Hearing on Wednesday, May 28, 2003, in the City Hall Council Chambers, 1737 Main Street, Columbia, South Carolina. Mayor Robert D. Coble called the meeting to order at 10:05 a.m. Council members present were The Honorable Jim D. N. Papadea, The Honorable Anne M. Sinclair, The Honorable Hamilton Osborne, Jr., The Honorable Sam Davis and The Honorable Tameika C. Isaac. Absent was The Honorable E. W. Cromartie, II due to his attendance at the National Black Caucus of Locally Elected Officials. Also present were Mr. Charles P. Austin, Sr., Interim City Manager and Ms. Pamela J. Ferst, City Clerk.
2. Receipt of Public Comment on the Local Hospitality Tax
The following individuals appeared before Council to present options for the disbursement of Hospitality Tax funding:
Mr. Roger Poston, Historic Columbia Foundation Executive Director
Ms. Lee Lumpkin, Columbia Classical Ballet
Mr. Matt Kennell, City Center Partnership Executive Director
Mr. Barry Walker, Macs on Main Owner
Mr. Stan Leinwand, Arts Task Force
Ms. Pat Wilson, Arts Task Force Chairwoman
Ms. Catherine Bruce Fleming, Modjeska Simpkins Center
Ms. Cindy Miller, Columbia City Ballet
· Mayor Coble brought the Public Hearing to a close at 10:30 a.m.
· Mr. Osborne left the meeting at 10:30 a.m.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES
1. Minutes of May 21, 2003
Upon motion by Mr. Papadea, seconded by Mr. Davis, Council voted unanimously to approve the Minutes of May 21, 2003. Mr. Osborne was not present for the vote.
Upon motion by Mr. Papadea, seconded by Mr. Davis, Council voted unanimously to approve on a single motion the Consent Agenda Items 3. through 11. as presented. Mr. Osborne was not present for the vote.
CONSIDERATION OF BIDS, AGREEMENTS, AND CHANGE ORDERS
3. Council is asked to approve the Purchase of Two (2) Street Sweepers,
as requested by Solid Waste. Award to Amick Equipment, the low bidder,
in the amount of $203,628.00. There are no M/FBE vendors who can
supply this equipment. The vendor is located in the Midlands area.
4. Council is asked to approve Replace / Repair Roofing on city buildings at Bull and Taylor Streets, as requested by Support Services. Award to Heritage Roofing, the only bidder, in the amount of $112,350.00. Bid request sent to 10 MBE vendors. No MBE vendors responded. The company is located in the Midlands area. - Approved
5. Council is asked to approve Replacing the HVAC Systems for city buildings at Bull and Taylor Streets. Award to McKie’s Heating and Air Conditioning Company, the low bidder, in the amount of $50,480.00. This is a local MBE vendor. - Approved
6. Council is asked to approve the Purchase of Forty-one (41) Body Armor Vests, as requested by the Police Department. Award to Wright-Johnston Company, a S.C. State Contract vendor, in the amount of $27,250.65. This is a local company. - Approved
7. Council is asked to approve the Purchase of a Backhoe, as requested by the Wastewater Treatment Plant. Award to Van Lott, the low bidder meeting specifications, in the amount of $46,478.00. There are no M/FBE vendors who can furnish this equipment. The company is located in the Midlands area. - Approved
8. Council is asked to approve Change Order #4 – Quail Lane Bridge Replacement W858 for the replacement of 1,000 linear feet of sanitary sewer, three (3) manholes and street resurfacing and a 139 day time extension, as requested by the Special Projects Administrator. Award to Lazer Construction, Inc. in the amount of $101,366.66. - Approved
9. Council is asked to approve an Agreement between the City of Columbia and the South Carolina Budget and Control Board to terminate the previous Parking Agreement executed on November 30, 2001 eliminating the Parking Commitment on the Riverside Property and the Street Parking in exchange for the City’s construction of a single-deck parking structure and related improvements on portions of property currently used by the museum as a gravel surfaced lot, as requested by General Services. - Approved
10. Council is asked to approve a Contract for Professional Services to Conduct a Search for Candidates for the Position of City Manager. Award to Miles B. Hadley in the amount of $10,000 plus the reimbursement of all out of pocket expenses. - Approved
ORDINANCES – SECOND READING
11. Ordinance No.: 2003-045 - Authorizing granting of an Easement to the SCE&G Company for the installation of utilities along a portion of the City’s Property for the EdVenture Museum, identified as Richland County – Approved on first reading May 21, 2003 – Approved on second reading.
ORDINANCES – FIRST READING
12. Ordinance No.: 2003-036 – Granting an Easement to SCE&G Company for the installation of utilities along a portion of the City’s Property identified as Richland County TMS# 08916-03-12; Senate & Park Streets; (“Old Fire Station Headquarters Property); CF# 250-155 – Approved on first reading.
Upon motion by Ms. Sinclair, seconded by Mr. Papadea, Council voted unanimously to approve on first reading Ordinance No.: 2003-039 - Granting an Easement to SCE&G Company for the installation of utilities along a portion of the City’s Property identified as Richland County TMS# 08916-03-12; Senate & Park Streets; (“Old Fire Station Headquarters Property); CF# 250-155 – Approved on first reading.
Mayor Coble adjourned the meeting at 10:33 a.m. and reconvened the Work Session.
Respectfully submitted by:
Pamela J. Ferst, CPS