Important Updates

Elevation Certificate

If your property is located in part or in whole in an A zone (see City FIRMs: Find Your Risk), you may be able to reduce your flood insurance premium if you can file an Elevation Certificate that says your building is above the Base Flood Elevation (BFE).

To find out if your property has an Elevation Certificate, contact:


The City of Columbia regulates new construction and significant improvements in its floodplain and floodways. Details on these regulations can be found in Ch. 21, Article III. Flood Damage Prevention Ordinance:

Ali Khan

Floodplain Manager
1136 Washington St.
Columbia, SC 29201


Office: (803) 545 3400