The Department of Governmental Affairs and Community Relations monitors all state and federal legislation to identify issues that may affect the City of Columbia. The primary functions of Government Affairs are:
- Advising the Mayor, City Council and City departments on current developments in the South Carolina Legislature and the United States Congress that might affect the City of Columbia.
- Building and maintaining relationships between the City of Columbia and elected/appointed state and federal officials.
- Leading the lobbying efforts in the South Carolina Legislature and the United States Congress on behalf of the City.
- Coordinate city staff technical support for legislative efforts.
- Working with the departments on matters before state and federal agencies.
- Promoting regional cooperation issues impacting local governments throughout the Greater Columbia area.
- Participating in nongovernmental organizations to advance City of Columbia issues, policies and funding requests.
The 1st regular session of the 122nd General Assembly
January 10, 2017 - May 11, 2017
Government Affairs & Community Relations
1737 Main Street
Columbia, SC 29201
8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Governmental Affairs Administrator
Ray Borders Gray
Special Projects Administrator