The City of Columbia and the Richland County Coroner’s Office have partnered to offer free workshops for the public on the ABC’s of safe sleep habits for babies, for new and expecting parents, grandparents and caregivers.
Beginning Saturday, September 8, the Richland County Coroner’s Office will host a one-hour Safe Infant Sleep workshop to teach families how to safely put their baby down to sleep.
Since January 1, 2018, seven babies have died due to unsafe sleep habits, according to the Coroner’s Office. These workshops will be held to increase awareness of unsafe sleep practices and environments that could put a baby at risk.
The Coroner’s Office encourages the public to follow the ABC’s for Safe Sleep for children:
- A: Always ALONE and always in a crib.
- B: Babies should sleep on their BACKS.
- C: CLEAR Cribs (no blankets, toys or other objects)
The workshops will be held at 10 a.m. at the following locations:
- Sept. 8 at Hyatt Park, 950 Jackson Ave.
- Oct. 6 at King Park, 2300 Greene St.
- Nov. 3 at Greenview Park, 6700 David St.
- Dec. 1 at Pinehurst Park, 2300 Pinehurst Rd.
The first 10 people to register at each workshop will be eligible for a door prize. Refreshments will be served.
To register, visit Eventbrite.com or call the Richland County Coroner’s Office at 803-576-1799.