about Board of Zoning Appeals- Form Based Codes

the Board of Zoning Appeals- Form Based Codes

The Board of Zoning Appeals - Form Based Codes is a quasi-judicial board that makes decisions regarding zoning issues within properties governed by a Form Based zoning Code that is identified by City Council. Currently, BoZA-FBC hears appeals for determinations regarding the Bull Street Planned Unit Development (PUD). For areas of the City not regulated by a form based zoning code, please refer to the Board of Zoning Appeals.
The Board meets on the second Wednesday of each month, should there be cases to be heard. Public meetings begin at 10 a.m. and are held at the City Council Chambers located on the 3rd floor of City Hall, 1737 Main Street. Expect approximately 30-45 days from the time of application to the date of the Board hearing. Cases are posted and advertised in accordance with Chapter 17, Article III, Division 3, Section 111 & 112 of the City Code of Ordinance and with Title 30, Chapter 4 of the code of Laws of South Carolina.

Development within the Bull Street Neighborhood is governed by a master plan and Planned Unit Development code, which can be downloaded here.

Staff Contacts

  • Zoning Administrator: Rachel Bailey
  • Deputy Zoning Administrator: Hope Hasty
  • Associate Planner/Zoning: Erica Jaen
  • Land Use Board Coordinator: Vacant
For more information, contact the Zoning Division at (803) 545-3333

Administrative Appeals

In the event that an alleged error in order, requirement, decision or determination is made by the Zoning Administrator in enforcement of the provisions of the form based code established pursuant to S.C. Code 1976, §6-29-760, which shall be identified by City Council in the PUD, or the Zoning Ordinance establishing base zoning, an application for Administrative Appeal or Review can be submitted, provided the appeal is made within 30 days of the order, requirement, decision or determination. 


In an event that due to special circumstances, the enforcement of the Form Based Code will unreasonably restrict development or use, an applicant may request a variance to the Code from the Board of Zoning Appeals. 
For the Board to approve the said variance, members must find that the property has an individual case of unnecessary hardship and meets the appropriate criteria for variance.