The Planning Department is involved in many different planning initiatives throughout the City, including area master plans, redevelopment plans, corridor plans, and the City-wide comprehensive plan. An important part of the planning process is public participation; click on the links below to get more information and to find out how you can get involved in the planning and implementation for the plans below. Please note that some of the plans below represent joint planning efforts with Richland County, such as the Walkable 29203 Pedestrian Master Plan and the Capital City Mill District Area and Corridor Plan.
Plans In Process
There are no area plans in process at this time as the City is working to update the Comprehensive Plan in 2018.
Adopted City-wide Plans
- The Columbia Plan 2018 and updates (Comprehensive Plan)
- City-wide Architectural Survey & Historic Preservation Plan (1991 Bryan Survey)
- Public Space Public Life Action Plan (2016)
- Walk Bike Columbia Pedestrian & Bicycle Master Plan and Bike Share Plan (2015) (additional information available at www.walkbikecolumbia.org)
Neighborhood, Area, and Corridor Plans
The City has a rich history of planning for neighborhoods, areas, and corridors. Plans developed in recent years are linked below; historic plans for the City and its neighborhoods are available for viewing in the Planning Division's offices, through the Central Midlands Council of Governments, and Richland Library.
- A Plan For the Redevelopment of East Central City (2004)
City Mill District Area and Corridor Plan (2017)
Center Master Plan (1999)
Owens Master Plan (Click here for Executive
Summary Only) (2002)
Street - Fort Jackson Boulevard Commercial Node Plan (2014)
Five: Five Points Master Plan (2006)
Master Plan (2007)
Waverly Catalyst Redevelopment Plan (2006)
- Master Plan for the Villages of North Columbia (2005)
Corridor & Neighborhood Plan (2012)
Capital District Area Plan (2017)
29203 Pedestrian Master Plan (2017)
- West Gervais District Plan (2017)
Future Planning Areas
The Plan Columbia: Land Use Plan identified areas for future neighborhood, area, and corridor planning efforts. A number of the areas identified represent joint planning areas, where multiple jurisdictions work together to best plan for a community.
For more information, please contact the Planning Division at 803-545-3222